A new free program to help veterans refresh their social wellbeing and employment.
Non-Liability Rehabilitation aims
The Non-Liability Rehabilitation program provides you with access to social wellbeing and employment support. It can also help you find a General Practitioner (GP) or get a Medicare card. The program is easier for veterans to access than the standard DVA rehabilitation. You do not need to lodge a compensation claim to access Non-Liability Rehabilitation.
This two-year pilot is part of the 2021-22 Budget, and is available from 1 January 2022. An evaluation of the program’s outcomes will inform future policy design.
Developing a rehabilitation plan
A dedicated qualified rehabilitation consultant will help each participant create an individual plan that aligns with your personal rehabilitation goals. The plan will last 3 to 6 months and tap into existing local community services.
The plan can include support in any of the following areas:
Social wellbeing and building new community connections
For some this may be through sport, new hobbies or short programs. Or you may feel you need to work on a particular barrier for social wellbeing, such as losing weight, learning relaxation techniques, or gaining confidence in public settings.
Employment support and refreshing your career
The program can help participants who are unemployed or want to take their career to another level. You may want help to adjust to the civilian workplace. To achieve these goals you can do training on resume writing, interview skills, or on how to cope with the civilian workforce.
Taking control of your medical services
The program can help you navigate the medical system to obtain a Medicare card or engage a suitable General Practitioner (GP).
We encourage veterans who meet the criteria below to consider entering the program ie those who:
- feel they need some rehabilitation help
- are separated from the ADF or in the process of transitioning
- live in Australia
- have no liability as well as those waiting on the outcome of their first claim
- are not already participating in a DVA rehabilitation program
- are covered under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA) or the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation (Defence-related Claims) Act 1988 (DRCA)
Things you need to know
- The Non-Liability Rehabilitation is voluntary so if you decide for any reason you don’t want to continue, you can withdraw at any time. You can also rejoin the program if you decide to come back.
- You don’t need to pay anything. DVA will cover the cost of the consultant and other fees for services and activities in the agreed plan.
- The program does not cover medical treatment, the costs of an activity you already started, or certificates, licenses and higher education courses. It also does not cover equipment, travel, meals and accommodation expenses.
Find out more
If you want to find out more you can contact us by email on [email protected] or call 1800 VETERAN (1800 838 372).
We’ll send you more information about the program, including what it covers and what it doesn’t. We’ll also send you a questionnaire to help us work out the types of support services that may suit you.
If you’re accepted, your consultant will contact you to help you develop your personal rehabilitation plan.