Disaster assistance for DVA clients – Bushfire crisis

The impact of the bushfires is being felt across the nation, including by members of the veteran and defence communities. Health and safety is the priority during this time, and we encourage you to listen to the experts on how to be prepared.

The ABC, as the national broadcaster, provides up-to-date information on all alerts and warnings.

Further information is also available on each of the state government websites.

Members of the veteran and defence communities can also access:

  • The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment – one-off financial assistance to eligible Australians adversely affected by the bushfires. For more information on eligibility, and how to claim, visit the Department of Human Services websiteor call 180 22 66.
  • Defence Service Homes Insurance – to lodge a claim or for assistance please contact 1300 552 662or visit the Defence Service Homes Insurance website.
  • Open Arms counselling support(24/7) – veterans and their families requiring emergency counselling support can call 1800 011 046.
  • Crisis payments – a one-off payment to financially assist eligible people following a range of defined circumstances. For information about the crisis payments and eligibility please read Factsheet IS121 – Crisis Payments
  • Other assistance – DVA’s Veterans’ Access Network (VAN) can be contacted on 1800 555 254to assist with a wide range of issues, including replacement of aids and appliances, ensuring availability of pharmaceuticals, and arranging transportation to medical appointments.
  • Veteran’s Home Care – assists you to continue living independently by providing a small amount of practical help including safety related home and garden maintenance that can help prevent health and safety hazards around the home. For program clients affected by the fires please contact your service providers or assessment agency.  For eligible, affected veterans that need new services or services in a new location contact a VHC Assessment Agency on 1300 550 450.

If any other services or support you receive from the Department are being impacted by the fires, or if you need extra support in requesting these services, you can call 1800 555 254 for assistance.

You may also like

Leave a comment